Anyone else ever think that summer is going to be nice and chill and then bam summer is over and you feel like you never got a chance to breathe? Yea, raising my hand over here because our summers be cray. I cannot believe it's already almost mid-August and Will is about to start inservice and go back to work for the school year - where did the summer go? And on top of that, we have a 6-month old already and I'm like WHAT.
With summers being as crazy as they are and just life in general being crazy (can I get an amen??), I'm always looking for easy lunches that I can make ahead of time and then keep in the fridge for when I want it. This lunch recipe is perfect for that. You can make all of these things ahead of time, refrigerate them separately, and then assemble your bowl and heat it up when you are ready to eat. It's also jam-packed with healthy, filling ingredients which is wonderful because mama's got to refuel, y'all. This also would make a perfectly acceptable, healthy, delicious dinner for a weeknight.
A few little tips or changes you can make to this recipe: swap out the dijon dressing for a hummus dressing (like the one in this post), swap tomatoes out for strawberries (because YUM), add in some sort of nut (almonds, walnuts, etc).
This bowl is pretty much guaranteed to be one of your new favorite go-to lunch recipes and I'm excited for you to try it out! Also, if anyone figures out how to make time slow down a little bit, let me know!
Chicken & Quinoa Lunch Bowl with Roasted Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes, and Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1lb chicken tenders
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups mixed greens (I chose baby kale and spinach)
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and cover a large baking sheet with foil.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl, drizzle olive oil and toss to coat. Add cumin and coriander and stir to incorporate. Pour chickpeas on half of the baking sheet. Place brussels and sweet potatoes on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Bake until brussels and sweet potatoes are tender and chickpeas are crisp.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a medium-sized pot along with the cup of quinoa. Bring to boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed (about 20 minutes).
- While your quinoa is simmering, cook your chicken. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, place chicken tenders on your skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through (no longer pink on the inside and firm to the touch). I chose to cut my chicken into bite-sized chunks for this bowl, but you can also keep them whole.
- Lastly, make your dressing. Whisk dijon mustard, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, garlic, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- To assemble your bowls, place your greens in the bowl first and then the quinoa on top. Next place your chicken, sweet potatoes, brussels, chickpeas, tomatoes, and avocado. Drizzle with a bit of dijon dressing and voila! you have yourself the perfect lunch bowl!