When it comes to snacking, I want something quick, easy and healthy. As I mentioned in Tuesday's post, we try to keep only healthy snacks in the house to keep us from eating junk throughout the day (trust me, we both have a sweet tooth, so anything packed with sugar is dangerous for us!). However, while I love snacks that are healthy, I also love snacks that are delicious. It has taken me a while to come up with snacks that I will actually eat throughout the day that will satisfy my craving for something to munch on.
There are a few food groups I try to incorporate into my snacks to make sure they are nutritious and also filling so I’m not just continuously munching on things: fruit, veggies, grains and protein. While I’m dairy free, yogurt doesn’t mess with me because of the good bacteria it contains, so I eat a lot of yogurt with fruit or nuts, etc. Yogurt also has a good source protein and so does peanut butter which also appears in a number of my snacks for the week. Quite a few fruits and veggies make it in my snacks as well (especially bananas because they fill me up, are oh-so-delicious, and also nutritious). Being gluten free, I get grains from items like corn chips and gluten free waffles/bread, etc. Then I also like to mix in a little bit of sweet (because DUH), so I will add dark chocolate chips to some snacks or dip some things in a little bit of dark chocolate. YUM.
I have put together a list of snacks that are kind of my “go-to.” All of these snacks are easy-peasy to make, taste great, and are good for you. The ingredients for these snacks are simple and have made it onto our list of “staple items” when I’m meal planning. That way everything I need is right there when I need a little snack to get me through the work day. Speaking of work days, most of these snacks are also ones that you can pack up and take to work with you.
- Cucumbers & Hummus
- Clementine Slices Dipped in Dark Chocolate (or just eat a clementine by itself because I simply CANNOT get enough of clementines - I eat like 6 a day, no joke)
- Apples with Peanut Butter
- Frozen Waffle with Peanut Butter & Banana - there are some really great gluten free frozen waffles out there!
- Nut Mix - I like to mix almonds and cashews with chocolate chips
- Corn Chips & Guacamole
- Frozen Grapes
- Peanut butter & Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas
- Slice of Avocado Toast - here are a couple recipes that I love!
- Yogurt and Berries
- Yogurt with Sliced Almonds and Chocolate Chips
Happy snacking everyone!