Weeknight meals at our house are all about making things quick and easy but still hearty and healthy. On days that are just jam-packed with running around trying to complete my to-do list, I can use a breather at dinner time. That's where this salad comes in. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare but is delicious and fills you right up.
What I love about salads is that you can experiment with all kinds of different flavors, throw them together and see what you get. I knew I wanted this salad to be hearty so my hubby wouldn't walk away from dinner hungry. The roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, and brussels, help fill this salad out and make it a dinner that fills you up. Using the pears, dried cranberries, and honey roasted pecans (I picked these up at HEB in their bulk section!) helped cut all the savory flavors with a bit of sweetness.
I'm kind of obsessed with hummus-based dressings right now. I pour it over chicken and quinoa, on salads, and basically anything else that I can. What's so great about making dressing with classic hummus is you can mix it with any flavors you like to make it fit with the recipe you're making. For this one I chose to mix it with lemon, garlic powder and just a splash of vanilla almond milk.
Go give this baby a whirl on your next weeknight dinner and you won't be disappointed! Especially since Fall is officially here (HAPPY FALL!), these flavors and veggies are a great way to bring in the season.
Side note: If you are wanting to make this an even heartier dinner, you can cook up some quinoa and mix it in.
ROASTED CHICKEN, SWEET POTATO & BRUSSEL SPROUTS SALAD WITH CREAMY HUMMUS DRESSING
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (I got a long, skinny one so it was easy to slice), sliced into 1/8" thick pieces
- 2 cups sliced brussel sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 handfulls of mixed baby leaf greens
- 1 bartlett pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped honey roasted pecans
- 1/4 cup classic hummus
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and place your sliced sweet potatoes and brussel spouts on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Place in the oven to cook for 15 minutes or until soft and completely roasted.
- While your veggies are roasting, heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Pound your chicken to about 1 inch thick and season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Place on your heated skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until firm to the tough.
- To make your dressing, whisk together the hummus, lemon juice, garlic powder, and almond milk.
- In two low bowls, place a handful of mixed baby leaf greens, roasted sweet potatoes, brussels, and chicken. Top with your chopped pears, dried cranberries and pecans. Pour the hummus dressing on top and enjoy!