I'm a sucker for a good pizza, you guys. Growing up, my brother and I were both in sports in high school, so carb loading was a regular thing at our house and my mom would make the best homemade pizza ever.
I use a bread machine to make my pizza dough because it's super simple, easy peasy, and allows you to get other things done at the same time. The trick with using a bread machine is putting all of the ingredients into the bread machine in the order they are listed on the recipe. Don't ask me why, that's just what the instructions say, and I don't question the science of baking! I'm also not a perfectionist when it comes to rolling out my dough. Don't ask me how the pros do it, but I'm a-ok with a more "rustic" look for my crust.
Side note: I don't use a sauce in this recipe because I choose to drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar & honey mixture on top, but if you can't go without a sauce, I would maybe try a pesto or something on the lighter side since the other toppings of this pizza are so fresh.
NECTARINE, PROSCIUTTO, MOZZARELLA, BASIL PIZZA WITH HONEY BALSAMIC
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup bread flour (you can sub GF baking flour with 5 tsp xanthan gum for a GF option)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed herbs (I used a combination basil, oregano, and rosemary)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 ripe nectarine (sliced)
- handful fresh basil
- fresh mozzarella
- 5 slices of prosciutto
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Place all bread ingredients into a bread machine in the order listed. Turn bread machine on dough cycle.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Once dough has finished, roll dough into a 12" circle and place on a pizza stone or round baking sheet. I like to put corn meal on my pizza stone to keep the pizza from sticking.
- Place pizza dough in oven to bake for 6-7 minutes.
- Take pizza out and place prosciutto, mozzarella, nectarine and basil on top. Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Put pizza back in the preheated oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
- While your pizza is baking, combine the balsamic vinegar and honey and stir until well incorporated.
- When your pizza is done baking, take out of the oven and drizzle with the balsamic mixture. I also like to throw a few fresh basil leaves on top.