You may have come to notice by now that Fall is my favorite time of year. I find myself constantly inspired by the herbs and veggies that are in season during Fall which makes it easier for me to come up with delicious Fall recipes. Although we are still waiting for the crisp, Fall weather to arrive here in Texas, that's definitely not stopping me from burning Fall candles, sipping on hot tea, suffering from Fall allergies (yippie), and getting giddy over Fall decor. I'm in full-swing Fall mode and it feels wonderful. To me, Fall is meant for outdoor dinner parties and brunches and general celebration of the harvest season.
Today's recipe is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or breakfast for dinner (brinner?). It's packed with all kinds of delicious flavors and a bit of sweetness is mixed in with the savory. I used maple bacon in this recipe which made it all the more better (bacon makes everything better, right?). Using the bacon grease from frying the bacon to brown the sausage and cook the onions and sweet potatoes gives this recipe a hint of sweetness (the little bit of brown sugar also helps with that!) which blends really nicely with all the other flavors in this dish. I used my handy-dandy Lodge Skillet for this whole recipe, which made for easy clean-up and in turn a happier me. Seriously invest in one of those babies if you haven't already! This recipe feeds about 4-6 people (depending on how many helpings you have - I definitely went back for seconds!!), so it would be the perfect dish for a back patio brunch on a crisp morning accompanied by hot coffee.
What Fall festivities do you have planned? Do you have any go-to Fall brunch recipes?
SWEET POTATO HASH WITH ROSEMARY AND SAGE
- 1lb turkey breakfast sausage
- 6 slices of bacon (I used maple bacon)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, mix your diced sweet potato, brown sugar, salt and pepper together until sweet potatoes are evenly coated. Set aside.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, fry 6 slices of maple bacon until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel to dry. Leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet, place your turkey sausage in skillet let cook until browned. Transfer browned sausage to a plate.
- Leaving about a tablespoon of juices in the skillet, add your onion and cook until tender. Next, add in your sweet potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes or until your sweet potatoes are tender (they will also get more tender in the oven).
- Stir in your sausage and crumble your bacon into the hash and mix together. Sprinkle your chopped rosemary and sage on top and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Break your eggs over the top of your sweet potato hash and place in preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until your eggs are done.
- Serve hot and enjoy!!