One thing I quickly learned about my husband is that he loves Southern comfort food. Chicken & waffles, shrimp & grits, basically any kind of meat and carb - all of the good things. I personally have always had a special place in my heart for a good plate of shrimp & grits. I'm usually steer towards a healthier dinner, but this definitely is an exception because of all those delicious flavors.
I recently paired up with Small Batch Daily and they sent me some seriously yummy Bay Leaf Brown Butter by Black & Bolyard based out of Brooklyn. If you have been following the blog, you know that I love brown butter. I use it in mashed potatoes, as a sauce, in my cereal (just kidding). I love the nuttiness of it, and Black & Bolyard has done some amazing things with theirs by adding flavor. And this brown butter pairs so nicely with shrimp & grits. YUM.
This is basically my own little twist on the classic. I used corn grits and added cheddar & brown butter. I cooked my shrimp in the brown butter as well, cooked some bacon to crumble on top and then sautéed some kale in the same pan as the bacon to give it a nice little flavor. I topped it all off with chives and voila! So delicious you guys. And it passed the test of my Southern comfort-food-loving husband. Wins all around.
*You can shop items I use in this recipe and support Feast & Dwell at the same time by using the affiliate links within the post. When you purchase an item from those links, I make a commission, which helps keep Feast & Dwell up and running. I'm so grateful for your support!
Shrimp & Grits with Bay Leaf Brown Butter, Bacon, and Baby Kale
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 cup corn grits (I love Bob's Red Mill!)
- 8oz sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons bay leaf brown butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- chives, finely chopped
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons bay leaf brown butter
KALE & BACON
- 6 strips bacon
- 3 cups baby kale
- Bring water and chicken stock to a boil in a large pot over medium heat. Once boiling, slowly mix in your grits and whisk continuously. Whisk until the liquid is absorbed. Add in your cheese, butter, salt & pepper and whisk until smooth.
SHRIMP, BACON, KALE
- Pat your shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Place shrimp in heated pan in batches (so you don't overcrowd your pan) and cook until pink on both sides. Towards the end of each batch, add a bit of garlic and mix in. Continue this process until all shrimp is cooked.
- In the same pan, cook your bacon until crispy. Set aside to cool (bacon will crisp up more as it dries out).
- Still in the same pan, place your kale. Mix until kale is wilted and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan.
- To serve, spoon a good amount of cheesy grits into a low bowl. Add some kale and shrimp, top with crumbled bacon and chives.