I'm a tad bit picky about my trail mixes. I feel like every time I'm standing in front of all the trail mix options in the store, I can't find one that sounds 100% delicious to me. There is always one thing that I'm not into.
Solution? Make my own.
Trail mix is probably the easiest snack to make. Just throw a bunch of things in a bowl. BUT, every good trial mix needs a few things: nuts, seeds, fruit, chocolate and a bit of flavor. I also think there needs to be a good balance of each ingredient. I'm not a fan of mixes that are heavy on the fruit with barely any nuts and vise vera. This mix has a great balance of nuts, oats and seeds with some cherries and chocolate swimming around in there. I toasted the oats with some cinnamon and vanilla and it really does add an amazing punch of flavor.
I recently cooked for a workshop and doubled this recipe and it made a TON. If you make this at the beginning of the week, you can pack it for snacks for your kiddos, take it to work, leave it in a bowl on the counter to snack on throughout the day - it satisfies the munchies pretty quick!
What are you favorite easy snacks for the week?
*You can shop items I use in this recipe and support Feast & Dwell at the same time by using the affiliate links within the post. When you purchase an item from those links, I make a commission, which helps keep Feast & Dwell up and running. I'm so grateful for your support!
Easy Trail Mix with Vanilla & Cinnamon Toasted Oats
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon water
- 6 oz roasted sunflower kernels
- 6 oz dried cherries
- 9 oz nuts (I chose cashews, almonds, and macadamia nuts)
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- Heat pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, vanilla bean paste, and water.
- Place oats in the heated pan and let toast for a minute, stirring occasionally. Drizzle vanilla mixture over the oats and stir. Let toast for a minute or two longer until the oats are light brown in color.
- Let your oats cool and then mix in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients.