First of all, huge shoutout to my hubby, Will for shooting and editing this video for me! It definitely pays off to be married to a video production teacher!
This recipe is a fresh, more fruity twist on your normal salsa. And I would say it's more like a chunky pico de gallo (which is my absolute favorite). The hubs and I are major chips/salsa fans, and with the summers being so hot and sticky, I've been craving something cool and fresh. I love the little bit of crunch that the jicama adds to this salsa, and you really can't ever go wrong with watermelon, mango and a kick of jalapeño.
If you are wanting a little more spice to your salsa, you can always leave some of the jalapeño seeds in for that little extra somethin'. This recipe also makes a ton, so it's perfect for a summer party starter. So grab some chips and get to partyin'!
WATERMELON JICAMA SALSA
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups chopped watermelon
- 1 peeled cucumber, diced
- 1 peeled mango, diced
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 8 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Stir together the lime zest, lime juice, and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the watermelon, cucumber, mango, jicama jalapeño, onion and basil and stir gently.
- Pour lime mixture over top along with garlic salt and stir until incorporated.
- Serve with tortilla chips!