I'm a sucker for fruit desserts - pies, tarts, you name it. This dessert is one of my very favorites and a go-to in the Scott household. What I love about this recipe is that I have most of the ingredients already at home and I usually only have to buy the fruit. It's also super simple and doesn't take a lot of effort to make.
This recipe is completely gluten free since it only uses oat flour (yum). I usually place my rolled oats in a food processor and pulse until it's a flour consistency and voila - you have your oat flour. If you would like a diary free option for this recipe, you simply replace the butter with 1/2 cup coconut oil and use dairy free ice cream on top (there are lots of great options out there these days like NadaMoo!).
If you are cooking for two, you can put the leftovers in the fridge, warm them up the next day, and it's still super delicious. You can also make this recipe for a dinner party and it feeds about 6 people pretty easily. I promise this one will be a hit!
GLUTEN FREE BLACKBERRY & STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE
- 1 cup oat flour (I simply put oats in a food processor and pulse until it's a flour consistency)
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, melted (dairy free option: 1/2 cup coconut oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups strawberries, cut into fourths
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, butter and salt. Mix until well combined and set in refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes.
- While your topping is chilling, prepare your fruit. In another large bowl, combine sugar, extracts, cornstarch and salt. Stir to combine.
- Place fruit in sugar mixture and gently toss to coat the fruit.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Once your topping has chilled, take it out of the fridge and break it up with a spoon until it's nice and crumbly.
- Place fruit in a skillet, an 8x8 inch pan, or something that's a similar size. Scoop topping gently on top of the fruit.
- Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes or until the topping is a golden brown.
- Enjoy with a scoop of ice cream on top!