Halloween is in less than a week, you guys! I can’t even believe that October is almost over and November and all it brings (TURKEY!) is just around the corner.
Since we don't have kiddos (yet!), we’ve made a tradition of handing out candy to all the neighborhood kids on Halloween night. Since we don’t get to see our neighbors too often due to everyone’s busy schedules, we like to sit outside on our porch so we can easily interact with them and get to know them just a bit. Last year we had some friends over and sipped on some apple cider while handing out candy and I loved everything about it. It may be a warm 85° outside this year, but I’m still planning on sipping on some cider while looking at all the kids’ adorable Halloween costumes. If you want a little kick to this drink, you can add some brandy to make it more of a cocktail.
If you do have kids and you are going trick-or-treating, this is a perfect drink for when you come back home with all your loot. Since this cooks in the crockpot for 2 hours, you can dump all the ingredients in before you leave and it will be piping hot and delicious when you get home. The spiced whipped cream is the cherry on top of this cider (and it gives you a nice whipped cream mustache when you drink it!) adding a good bit of sweet to the Fall-spiced, citrus-y cider. Drizzle a little caramel sauce on top and holy yum-sauce.
CARAMEL APPLE CIDER WITH SPICED WHIPPED CREAM
- 64 oz organic apple juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all cider ingredients into a crockpot, stir and turn on low for 2 hours. *You can place cloves in a spice bag or you can put them in loose.
- Just before your cider is done, place all whipped cream ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a hand mixer to mix until there are stiff peaks.
- Once cider is done, pull out the orange and lemon slices and use a slotted spoon to fish out the cloves and cinnamon sticks. Stir gently to mix all flavors together.
- To serve, pour cider into a mug. You can either use a piping bag or a spoon to put the whipped cream on top. Drizzle with warm caramel sauce and powder with cinnamon.